It works by killing bacteria and parasites that cause infection in your body.
USAGE AND SAFETY
• Fits (convulsions) • Mental problems such as feeling confused or seeing or hearing things that are not there (hallucinations) • Problems with your eyesight such as blurred or double vision, changes in colour vision • Tingling or burning pain in your eye • Hearing problems, ringing in ears (tinnitus) • Skin rash, ushing, itching • Headache • Darkening of the urine • Diarrhoea • Feeling sleepy or dizzy • Pains in the muscles or joints • Numbness, tingling, pain or a feeling of weakness in the arms or legs • Unpleasant taste in the mouth • Furred tongue, dry mouth • Feeling sick (nausea), being sick (vomiting), upset stomach, stomach pain or diarrhoea • Loss of appetite, anorexia • Depression • Fever
It is used in the treatment and prevention of severe infections that are caused by anaerobic bacteria, particularly species of Bacteroides, anaerobic Streptococci, Fusobacteria, Clostridia, etc.
When not to Use
Do not take this medicine: If you are sensitive or allergic to metronidazole or any of the ingredients .If you observe signs of an allergic reaction include: rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue.
If you are affected by Cockayne syndrome, your doctor should also monitor your liver function frequently while you are being treated with metronidazole and afterwards.
Cases of severe liver toxicity/acute liver failure, including cases with a fatal outcome, in patients with Cockayne syndrome have been reported with product containing metronidazole.
Tell your doctor immediately and stop taking metronidazole if you develop: Stomach pain, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, fever, malaise, fatigue, jaundice, dark urine, putty or mastic coloured stools or itching.
There have been rare reports of potentially life-threatening skin rashes (Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, Acute Generalised Exanthematous Pustulosis) with the use of metronidazole.
Always consult your physician before using any medicine.
Store this medicine at room temperature, away from direct light and heat.